6. Doctors' Offices

Stages of History DRs Offices plaque


Bronze images of a pill bottle, doctor’s bag, a stethoscope, an extracted tooth, and a pair of umbilical scissors reference the many activities associated with these two buildings in their roles as doctor and dentist offices. 

110 4th Ave N

Though small in size, this Art Deco brick commercial building is significant for its style and history, and is one of very few surviving structures in Edmonds from the late 1930s. The building was originally constructed as an office in 1938  for Dr. Frank J. Kenny and Dr. M. O. Magnuson. Dr. Kenny practiced medicine in Edmonds for over half a century, and contributed much to the civic life of the community. During World War II, he served as the City Health Officer.  He was a member of the Municipal Defense Commission, and a founding board member of the Edmonds Lions Club in 1946. 

Over the years, the building has housed different specialty medical practices, dentists, psychotherapists and psychiatrists, and numerous other small businesses.  A decorative diamond shaped tile in the peaked parapet illustrates a medical symbol, the rod of Asclepius, between the letters M and D, indicate the building's origins.

117 4th Ave N

Dr. Harry W. Hall constructed this house in 1910. He used it as his office for seventeen years, and then sold it to Otto and Hattie Sorenson in 1927, the same year that Otto Sorenson was appointed bookkeeper at the State Bank of Edmonds, just down the street. Mr. Sorenson, an Edmonds High School Graduate of the class of 1918, later served as Edmond's Postmaster in 1936.