8. Fourth Ave and Main St

Stages of History 4th and Main plaque


The bronze icons on this interpretive panel represent the businesses that made up Edmonds' “first permanent business block". The sign from Heberlein’s Hardware Store was a long-time feature on the building originally constructed by Edmonds pioneer William Schumacher. Terra cotta details from the historic Beeson building inspired the bronze side panel decoration.

Main Street at 4th Ave. has been described as the first permanent business block in Edmonds. In 1890, William A. Schumacher constructed a western style "false front" retail building to house a general store. Schumacher was instrumental in founding Edmonds' first bank, the State Bank of Edmonds. The bank moved into a new building on the southwest corner of Main St and 4th in 1907, and The Schumacher Building was sold to hardware merchant E. Heberlein in 1908.

Major redevelopment at Main and 4th was set in motion on July 8, 1909, after a fire destroyed the "Jones Block" of buildings on the southeast corner. The fire burned down the post office, the Brackett & Roscoe Grocery, a jewelers, a confectionary, and a hardware store. F. Roscoe Beeson purchased the still smoldering parcel and immediately announced plans for a two-story reinforced concrete building. The  Beeson Building, built in a distinctive Spanish Mission Revival style, opened two years later. Mr. Beeson went on to serve five terms as Mayor of Edmonds, from 1918 to 1923.