Join the Commission
The Edmonds Sister City Commission is seeking volunteers to fill openings on the Commission. The Commission consists of 12 volunteers serving three-year terms and one student volunteer serving a on-year term. Sister City Commissioners attend around 20 events/meetings each year including:
- Regular Commisison meetings - monthly on the 4th Monday of each month
- City Council meeting - attend one in the Fall and others when a new Commissioner is appointed
- Fundraising events - participate in at least one per year
- Student orientations - attend one of six scheduled during April - July
- Welcome & Farewell dinners - held yearly during the Japanese delegation visit in August
- Student Exchange - chaperone one weekday of activities during first two week of August
- For a complete list of Commissioner expecations please click here
The student representative must be a resident of Edmonds, attend high-school or college, and have a strong interest in Japan. Duties include:
- Attending Commission meetings held on the fourth Monday of every month
- Assist with events around the annual student exchange for two weeks in August
- Participate in special projects, such as the Commission's booth at the Edmonds Farmers Market and student delegation recruiting
Qualified applicants will have an interest in Japan and support the mission of the Edmonds Sister City Commission ~ promoting international communication and understanding through the exchange of people, ideas, and culture. Applicants participate in an interview process and are selected, in part, based upon their skills as they apply to the Commission's mission, functions, and current and ongoing projects. For applications, click on Current Openings can be found HERE on this webpage.
Join an adult delegation to Hekinan
The Commission coordinates an adult exchange of local citizens with Hekinan. Since the relationship was initiated in 1988, over 1,000 people have traveled between the two cities. Typically, delegates stay in homes and are given opportunities to meet residents and business owners, and to experience the respective cultures first-hand.
Join a student delegation to Hekinan
The commission coordinates a student exchange each summer where 15 students and two teachers from both cities that spend two weeks in a homestay situation.
The Commission can put you in touch with counterparts in Hekinan that may have unique perspectives. In the past there have been discussions between groups interested in gardening, fine arts, and music.
Provide financial support
The Commission is predominately volunteer-based and all funding for exchanges and events are provided by individuals in the community. Current levels of support are:
- Host dinner one night for an upcoming delegation - $1,000
- Provide a scholarship for a local student to travel to Hekinan - $500
- Sponsor a Hekinan visitor’s trip to a baseball game - $50
- Support our ongoing community outreach programs - $25
Your participation in any aspect of supporting our valuable Sister City relationship is most appreciated! For more information about the above opportunities, please email the Commission.
Donate to the Sister City Commission
The Edmonds Sister City Commission funds all of its cultural, education, and civic events through the generous donations of community members. Please consider helping us ensure the continued success of our Sister City relationships by donating below. Even the smallest contributions have a significant impact! Thanks!
Donations to the Edmonds Sister City Commission can be tax-deductible. The Commission works to expend contributions for public purposes. Please refer to IRS Publication 526 for additional information and speak with your accountant.