Animal Control and Parking Enforcement

The animal control/parking enforcement unit is made up of two limited commission, uniformed officers. They are responsible for responding to animal control issues such as dog bites and stray or injured animals. They are also responsible for patrolling the city and enforcing all parking violations, as well as addressing certain city ordinance violations, such as abandoned vehicles and illegal dumping.

If you have a question not answered below, or need further information, please contact one of our Animal Control Officers between 8am and 6pm at 425-771-0205, or email

If you need an Animal Control Officer dispatched to your location, call (425) 775-3000 for non-emergency response.

If you need immediate assistance for an emergency in progress, call 911.  Our dispatch service will enter your call and advise our Animal Control Officers. 

What can be done about my neighbors barking dog?

We strongly suggest that neighbors speak to each other prior to involving Animal Control Officers in an effort to reach a reasonable alternative. If those efforts are unsuccessful or it is unsafe to contact the dog owner, call 911 for an Animal Control or Police Officer to respond.

Edmonds Municipal Code 5.05.115.B.5 defines a nuisance barking dog as, “Any animal which howls, yelps, whines, barks or makes any noises in such a manner as to disturb any person or neighbourhood to an unreasonable degree, taken to be continuous noises for a period of 10 or more minutes or intermittent noises that totals a period of 20 or more minutes…..”

Enforcement action can be taken by an officer if they witness the dog, or any other animal, meeting the definition above or the reporting party makes a written statement under the penalty of perjury and is willing to testify in court as to the dates and times when the dog was barking. It is not always possible for an officer to substantiate the nuisance a neighbourhood is experiencing so the willingness of those effected to participate in the documentation of the noise taking place may be necessary for enforcement action to be taken.

Violations leading to enforcement action beyond a verbal warning include civil infractions starting at $205 and increasing to a criminal misdemeanour citation up to $1,000 and/or 90 days in jail.

What should I do if I lose or find someone's pet?

All stray animals are cared for at the PAWS Animal Shelter in Lynnwood, WA. 

They can be found online at

PAWS Logo cmyk 800pixels
The shelter is located at 15305 44th AVE W, Lynnwood WA 98087.

You can reach them by phone at 425-787-2500.

Animal Control Officers can help you look for your animal.  Leave a message on the Animal Control voice mail describing the animal and phone numbers to contact you if we find the animal.  You can also call 911 if you need an officer to immediately respond to your neighborhood.  Remember, the officers will prioritize the calls through the dispatch center responding to the most serious public safety calls first.

You can also check with PAWS to find out if your animal is at one of their facilities.  Click the link below to be directed to their lost and found animals page.

PAWS Lost & Found Animals

Re-Homing an Animal

PAWS does offer "re-homing" services in certain circumstances for people that are no longer able to care for an animal.  See the link below for further information.

PAWS Rehoming Program

Can unclaimed animals be adopted?

Animals without identification like an identification tag, microchip or license are held for at least 72 hours or 3 days. Those animals with identification are held for 10 days.

All stray or unclaimed animals located by the Edmonds Police Department are taken to the PAWS facility in Lynnwood.  You can contact them at 425-787-2500 to inquire about adoption.

What are the Edmonds parks that allow dogs?

The following twelve (12) City Parks are open to dogs and their handlers on the designated trails only. Both leash and scoop laws are strictly enforced and must be observed when using these Parks:

1)   Yost Park
2)   Maplewood Park
3)   Pine Ridge Park
4)   Sierra Park
5)   City Park (southeast wooded area only)
6)   Mathay-Ballinger Park
7)   Seaview Park
8)   South Marina Beach Park (Off-Leash in designated areas)
9)   Hickman Park
10)  Haines Wharf Park
11)  Hutt Park
12)  Sunset Avenue Overlook (from Bell Street to Caspers Street)

[Click Here] to visit City of Edmonds Parks page for locations.

What are the rules at the Off Leash Dog Park?

The only off-leash park is located at South Marina Beach Park.

While this park is an area where you can let your dog run free and off-leash, you are expected to be a responsible dog owner attending to your pet’s behavior.
  • Carry a leash with you at all times so you can restrain your dog if necessary or gain control if other dogs are out of control.
  • Bring a plastic bag to pick up after your dog.  Generally the volunteers with Off Leash Area Edmonds (O.L.A.E.) have bags stationed at the front gate but they do run out.
  • Monitor your dog’s behavior.  Dogs of all sizes can safely play together but remember many dogs may be at the park for the first time and they may not know how to play socially with unfamiliar dogs at first.  The very reason you need to always have a leash with you.
  • Do not bring your aggressive dog.  This should go without saying.

Civilian volunteers from O.L.A.E. are often in the park giving educational advice and helping to remind park users to be responsible dog owners. They are not affiliated with the Edmonds Police Department or the City of Edmonds but if necessary, they will call 911 for a law enforcement officer to resolve a problem.

What are the licensing fees and where do I license my animals?

Pet Licensing

Pets can be licensed in one of two ways:

1)  In person at the Edmonds Police Department, Monday-Friday between 8:30-4:30.

2) Online through  Follow the link below to their website. 

Petdata logo

Pet License Requirements

Currently cat licenses are optional and are purchased by some people as a form of identification. The onetime, lifetime fee is $5.00. This could change in the near future with the Edmonds City Council considering an ordinance change.  

Dog licenses are mandatory for residents in the City of Edmonds.  The annual fee is $15.00 for a neutered male/spayed female and $40.00 for an unaltered animal.  All adult dog licenses expire on December 31st for that licensing year.

A temporary puppy license is required for dogs under six months of age.  The cost is $5.00 and the license is valid until the dog is six months old.  

Senior citizens, age 65 years and older, can purchase a $5.00 dog license for neutered/spayed dogs only.

New dog licenses go on sale November 1st for the coming year. 

In the event of a lost dog license, a replacement license can be purchased for $4.00.  

Service animals are issued a Permanent license at no charge.

Coyotes, Opossum, Raccoons, Marine & Other Wildlife

Animal control may respond to calls concerning small injured or sick wildlife and marine mammals. If possible, the animal may be transported to the PAWS Wildlife Center in Lynnwood for treatment based on officer availability.   

Information about handling and transporting small wildlife animals can be obtained by calling the knowledgeable wildlife staff at 425-787-2500.

As wildlife loses their habitat they are forced to roam our neighborhoods seeking food, water, and shelter.  Many of the nocturnal animals, such as coyotes, opossums and raccoons, are frequently seen during daylight hours in the Spring and Fall months.

We must find ways to peacefully co-exist with wildlife.  Remove food sources from around the exterior of your home by not feeding pets outdoors.  Safeguard your pets to avoid a chance meeting with a coyote or raccoon.  Clean areas in and around woodpiles and sheds to avoid providing shelter for wildlife.  

Animal Control Officers primarily handle domesticated animals such as dogs and cats.  Nuisance and threatening wildlife problems such as coyote, bear, and cougar sightings should be reported to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife at 425-775-1311 since specialized wildlife equipment and handling procedures are used with these animals.

What are the hours of Animal Control?

Normal business hours for Animal Control are 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m., seven days per week. After hours the police patrol officers provide responses to calls when citizens call 911.   

The Animal Control Officers also handle parking enforcement, abandoned vehicles, illegal dumping, and littering complaints.

To report a violation or problem animal , you need to call 911.  Your call can then be dispatched to an Animal Control Officer.  Our Animal Control Officers are out in the community and not in an office next to a phone.

A voice mailbox is available for general questions that do not require an immediate response.  That phone number is 425-771-0205.  It is checked frequently for messages and return calls are made as soon as possible throughout the day.

What happens when a dog bites a human or another animal?

The biting animal must be reported as soon as possible by calling 911. If the animal is running at large, it needs be captured and quarantined.

The ten-day quarantine generally takes place at the dog owner's home.  Animal Control verifies rabies vaccination records with the owner.  Rabies has not been a problem in this region for many years and the quarantine procedures, as required by the Health Department, are strictly precautionary.  Quarantined animals must be separated from other humans and animals not normally in contact with the biting animal.

Under the Dangerous Dog Law of Washington State (enacted in 1987), a dog that bites a human or an animal, unprovoked, is considered a Potentially Dangerous Dog.  A dog residing in the City of Edmonds involved in such an attack will be deemed "Potentially Dangerous".  There is no appeal process for a dog owner in this case.  If the same dog bites a second time, the dog will be deemed a "Dangerous Dog".

The following requirements must be met to maintain and keep each Dangerous Dog within the city limits of Edmonds: an annual $100.00 Dangerous Dog registration fee, a $250,000.00 insurance bond or liability coverage, a secure kennel meeting state law specifications, the dog must be muzzled and leashed when outside the kennel or off the owners property, and multiple signs posted on the property warning the public about the Dangerous Dog.  The dog owner has the right to a civil Appeal Hearing, prior to the enactment of the Dangerous Dog requirements.  All witnesses mentioned in the case will be required to appear at the hearing and give testimony.

Leash and Scoop Law?

Is there a leash law or control law as well as a scoop law in Edmonds?

A strict control and scoop law applies to all animals, including cats in the City of Edmonds. All animals must be controlled with a leash while off their property or be prevented from leaving their property with a fence or other property securing devices such as an invisible fence or appropriate enclosures to prevent them from running at large.

If a leash is used, then it must be no longer than eight feet in length and have a person capable of controlling the animal at the other end. In addition, a person walking any animal must have a bag, scoop, or other device to remove feces for eventual disposal of the waste. An Animal Control Officer must view leash and scoop law violations for animals running at large in order to take immediate enforcement action.

One Animal Control Officer is on duty to handle calls in the City of Edmonds each day. Citizens need to contact Animal Control by dialing 911 to report dogs running at large utilizing the police dispatch center. The officer will patrol the neighborhood as soon as possible in an attempt to impound the animal. Officers must prioritize calls for service from the 911 center based on public safety for both people and animals. For example, a request for a dog running at large may wait while the officer handles a more serious call such as an injured animal or a dog bite call with the biting animal still at large.

All small animals running at large and not posing a public safety threat can be reported to the Animal Control voice mail at 425-771-0205.

Edmonds Police Department

250 5th Ave N.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425.771.0200 (voice)
425.771.0208 (fax)

Office Hours:  Monday-Friday, 8:30-4:30

For In Progress Emergencies

CALL 911

For Non-Emergency police response or
to file a police report

CALL (425) 407-3999

Twitter Image  Follow us on Twitter

Facebook Logo  Like Us on Facebook

youtube Edmonds Police YouTube