Edmonds was incorporated in 1890 originating in the bowl area and has since expanded its borders by over 800% from 588 acres to 6095 with 107 different annexations. 1960-1963 saw the inclusion of the largest amount of area with Ordinance 1004 being the largest single annexation; over 70 million square feet (1615 acres) made up the almost the entire northern area of Edmonds. The 1990's saw the addition of Southwest Edmonds and added 1269 more acres of mainly residential area, including Firdale Village and the areas east of Westgate.
The animation below begins with the first annexation in the 50's and ends with the last in 1999. A detailed PDF is also available
Annexation History Wall Map PDF