Planning for energy in Edmonds is an outgrowth of the Community Sustainability Element of the Comprehensive Plan. A number of energy initiiatives are under way, including...
New Energy Cities Action Plan
Worked with Climate Solutions to complete a New Energy Cities Action Plan for the City of Edmonds. This was developed following a community workshop held on January 27-28, 2011. M The Action Plan describes a series of actions the city can take to address energy efficiency and conservation now and in the future. Presentations at the January, 2011, workshop covered an array of issues, including:
- Energy Overview (4 MB)
- Buildings and Efficiency (5.8 MB)
- Energy Technologies (Smart Grid, District Energy, Electric Vehicles...) (6 MB)
- Next Generation Energy Infrastructure (MB) (included in above file )
- Snohomish County PUD Initiatives (6 MB)
- Financing (1.2 MB)
Municipal Energy Plan
In January 2012 the city issued its municipal Energy Plan to address energy use and efficiency in city operations. The objectives of the plan include:
- Bring energy actions and initiatives under one "umbrella";
- Tell the story of how city government uses energy;
- Summarize energy use, highlight achievements, and reveal trends;
- Identify and assess opportunities;
- Provide a roadmap for smart energy action and decision-making in the future.
An earlier executive summary of the plan can be viewed here. (1 MB )
The energy plan builds on programs and successes the city has already undertaken. For example, Edmonds City Hall has earned the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) prestigious ENERGY STAR, the national symbol for protecting the environment through superior energy efficiency. This signifies that the building performs in the top 25 percent of similar facilities nationwide for energy efficiency.